Institutional Ethics Review Committees, hereinafter referred to as IERC, are recognized for the purposes of accreditation. These may be defined according to the subject area of the research, which include health sciences, biomedical, biological, social sciences and environmental sciences.
- Upholding of the standard of ethics review in the country;
- Development of public confidence and trust in the national research system;
- Facilitation equitable access to research and human health records in health facilities;
- Facilitating coordination and collaboration among IERCs in ethics review; and
- That animal welfare is taken into consideration during research and training.